Friday, January 21, 2011

Chicago Politics

With Rahm Emmanuel running for Mayor, William Daley becoming President Obama's Chief of Staff, David Axelrod's imminent departure, and other recent events, it seems that Chicago politics is back in the news.

I was reminded of an article I read in the LA Times almost a year ago about how "tough" Chicago politics are...


While I agree with the overall observation of this article (basically that the Chicago mob is out of its league in Washington), I find it lacking.

I do not agree with Mr. Malcom’s use of the word “tough” and his descriptions about how “tough” Chicago politics are. Is it physical toughness he’s talking about? In spite of the example of the guy who gave up jogging to lose weight because he didn’t get to “knock anyone down”, I don’t think so. I think their definition of “tough” is that they don’t have any rules. You know, little rules like telling the truth.

Chicago politics is “tough” because the brand of Chicago politician with which we are most familiar, will say anything about anyone without any regard for accuracy or truthfulness. Granted, a not unusual behavior in politics in general but, in Chicago, perhaps it's a bit more extreme. Chicago politics is “tough” because politicians there are willing to destroy other people’s lives in order to get their own way. And, it’s not just political opponents. It can be people who just happen to be in the way. You can almost hear the whiny and petulant, “I want, I want, I want…me, me, me”.

Many seem to be fearful of retribution from this administration. Why is that? Because Rahm Emmanuel might scream obscenities at them. Yeah, there’s probably some truth to that. But more likely, it’s because he’ll try to destroy your life because you accidentally bumped into him in the elevator. These people are those bratty little kids you saw years ago in the supermarket, lying in the aisle, kicking and screaming while parents softly cooed, “Now, now. Let’s not act that way little Rahmmy”. They were never taught to control themselves and eventually developed a steroidal sense of entitlement.

That’s not tough. That's pathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment