Thursday, January 20, 2011

Man Up, America?

I read this article in Vanity Fair in November. I sat down and wrote this response. As I just started blogging, I decided to make it my first post.


Mr. Carter claims, “The general anti-Obama rage out there is palpable. But it’s no more virulent than the anti-Bush sentiment that has pervaded the country for much of the past decade—although this being America, there’s an attendant hatred for Obama that has more to do with race than anything else.”

Actually, I don’t believe that Mr. Carter really thinks that “hatred” for Obama is based on race. I think that he wishes that it was based on race.

I’ve been told since childhood that people often “see what they want to see”. I believe this to be true. I know I’ve practiced the behavior. Further, this practice is very common. One doesn’t have to look far to find parents who are unable to comprehend that their child could do something malicious, or wrong. Or, parents who believe that their child is above average when it is clear that he is not. There are wives who believe that they “deserve” it. Yes, seeing what we want to see is very common. And, the temptation is often strong. Seeing things the way they really is sometimes almost unbearable.

So, when someone sees something that obviously doesn’t exist, I begin to wonder why they want to see it.

Mr. Carter sees many things. He sees hatred and that this hatred is based on race. While I’m sure that there is some hatred “out there”, it seems to me that most of what I’ve observed is righteous indignation. I would expect someone of Mr. Carter’s obvious enlightenment to be able to discern the difference between righteous anger and hatred.

So, why does Mr. Carter want to see hatred instead of righteous indignation? And, why does he want that imaginary hatred to be based on race?

Mr. Carter wants objections to Obama to be hatred and for that hatred to be based on race because Mr. Carter wants those objections to be illegitimate. From there, all of the pieces fall into place. I do not know Mr. Carter but I see that he is the editor of Vanity Fair. I think I’m probably on pretty solid footing when I say he is likely a big fan of the president and enthusiastic about the president’s policies. Were objections to those policies legitimate, and Mr. Carter honest with himself (admittedly a stretch), he would have to do some soul searching. He might even have to admit that he’s been wrong.

No, Mr. Carter has way too much invested in his own arrogance and liberal philosophy than to give it up that easily. Better to smear one’s political opponents with claims of hatred and racism than to have to examine one’s own self.

Mr. Carter says, “Man Up, America!”. I say, "Physician, heal thyself."

No comments:

Post a Comment